The Lehendakari explains the "Basque industrial competitiveness model" in India
"Industrial Competitive Transformation" Seminar "The Basque Case. The Basque model: adapting to globalisation"
Innovative, open, enterprising, sustainable and technologically advanced. This is how the Basque Premier, Lehendakari Patxi López, portrayed the Basque County at the Industrial Competitive Transformation seminars, held in Delhi (India) as an adaptation model to globalisation. The Lehendakari outlined the main measures introduced by the Basque Government to help the companies first to withstand it and then to compete abroad. These measures include the recent financing programme worth over 2,100 million euros that was announced a few weeks ago. "A model that bases a good part of its success on the combined endeavours: government, companies, technology centres, universities... we are a team that is united before the challenges of globalisation," he stressed.
During his speech, the Lehendakari went into detail about some of the main core areas of this policy, such as the Competitiveness Plan, and gave some figures to further his points:
- Exports grew by 18% in 2011
- Invest in the Basque Country is the new service that, created for that purpose, has already managed 34 projects and has managed to attract an important biotechnology company
- 2011 was a record-breaking year for the Basque Country: Over 2.4 million tourists (more tourists than the inhabitants of the Basque Country)
- We dedicated over 2% of our GDP to R&D&I for the first time
- Partnerships with the Basque Country's leading companies to implement technology strategic projects in new market niches that will be driving motors for other sectors: electric vehicle, smart electrical and unconventional natural gas networks.
The Lehendakari highlighted the clusters policy as another of the drivers of the economic activity of the Basque Country.
He ended by inviting the seminar delegates to visit the Basque Country in October, when the International Competitiveness Congress will be held, with the participation of the main world experts in clusters and innovation "that will turn us, for a few days, into an international benchmark for innovation and competitiveness".